PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Heathrow Airport 'may not cope during Olympics'
Old 29th May 2012, 14:34
Behind the Curtain

Perfect passenger

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sportsfest 2012

Being a hand-wringing liberal, I have at least two opposing opinions about the Olympics. I think the games themselves are a great thing, albeit one that we wouldn't be paying for had the economy entered its current state a few years early. But they *are* happening, and I want to make the most of it. I don't mind the inconvenience, but then I don't know how much I'll get yet.

What I am more than wary of is the "corporate" side of things and the meddling in our affairs that the IOC require. The shop at St Pancras that is "proud to only accept Visa".

I thought TightSlot's post a page or so back was very eloquent. If it is a minority that is against the games, it isn't small. I think that's a bit sad but I hope I have at least tried to understand why.

As to LHR... Here's just one sample in millions: I came back from FRA at about 2100 last night. I would have had a short wait at immigration (5 mins?) but as IRIS was working I was straight through in about a minute. Luggage appeared quickly. The BA flight before it was perfect, and at the start of the journey there were just 30 minutes between putting the last glass down at the Wäldchestag and walking through to air-side. A quiet evening, certainly, but a journey of a kind we all deserve from time to time!