PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilot Magazine
Thread: Pilot Magazine
View Single Post
Old 29th May 2012, 12:07
gasax

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I bought my first copy of Pilot in 1983 (still have it somewhere!). I then bought it pretty much every month until 'that Bloom' character became editor. Over the last 6 or 7 years I have never bought a copy - inspite of browsing hundreds of airport magazine racks!

I disposed of my magazine stock a few years ago - it was very noticeable that I had at least two and sometimes many more 'flight tests' 'trip reports' 'destinations' amongst those old magazines. It was equally obvious how the general quality of the writing and particularly the accuracy of information dropped off over time (could n't help but check what I was throwing out!).

Now I get the LAA mag and do not buy any flying magazines - apart from the occasional Flying - where the writing is still more important than anything else. If printed magazines are to survive that is the only thing which will swing it. Advertising helps particularly in the short term - but people only buy what attracts them and what they value and that means the UK flying magazines probably have little future as they are.