PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways DEP Selection - THE lowdown Part 2
Old 29th May 2012, 11:51
Callsign Kilo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For those in limbo between stage one assessment and stage two sim, that's not a bad place to be in my opinion. Time is on your side; BA will have to recruit again and you are in the optimum position along with the FPP guys who are currently in initial training. I have no doubt that BA will be back in touch, however in my mind it looks increasingly like it will be in 2013 - so hold tight.

Credit where credit is due to those in BA who have supplied hold poolers with updates. Even when there has been little to update, particular members of personnel at Cranebank have tried their upmost to be sympathetic and reassuring. However the recruiters have a very difficult job at the moment as the bmi merger, amongst other things, has created a lot of uncertainty. The lay of the land, so to speak, has changed dramatically since those in the pool applied for and were assessed for positions as BA flight crew.

I don't want to whinge on about the precarious position of those in the pool. We've been unlucky, but that's life and business is business. Many of it's occupants remain reassuringly optimistic as time ticks by; which is great as it keeps the mood buoyant.

The information that I am relatively convinced about is that the pool contents are in the region of 80 people with around 60% currently rated on a BA type. Hold pool waiting times were extended to 18 months for those reaching 12 months tenure. This extension is from the date of your simulator assessment. The last DEP course was April 2012. Training capacity is being dedicated to bmi mainline integration.

There is some suggestion that the current pool may shrink slightly due to members undertaking other opportunities, whether that be through necessity or choice, however I am relatively convinced that the vast majority will hold on until the final word is received.

Best of luck to everyone concerned, within the pool or otherwise.

Last edited by Callsign Kilo; 29th May 2012 at 11:54.