PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - advice pls R66 or 480B or 206Biii
View Single Post
Old 29th May 2012, 11:06
M1900

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pilots tend to love what they fly, and I think the responses to your questions may have a numerical relationship to the number of aircraft on the register. Looking at G-INFO, there are 118 'Bell 206's' registered in the UK, compared to only 12 'Enstrom 480's' (there are also N-reg variations of both). The numbers are a function of production longevity and factory capacity.
So logically, there will be more responses in favour of the 206 than the 480 (perhaps up to 10:1, based on the numbers).

Interestingly, I was in exactly the same position as you this time last year - part way through my PPL(H), (already having a PPL(A)), and in the lucky financial position of being able to afford a light turbine.

I bought an Enstrom 480B, and have no reason to regret it for all the reasons mentioned by FLY 7 in post #14 above. For me it was a no-brainer - I couldn't see myself shelling out up to $500,000 for a 20 year old machine with thousands of hours, when the same money could buy a much younger machine with a 3-bladed fully articulated head and the benign handling that suited my relative inexperience.

Those who knock the Enstrom have likely never flown one. My advice is not to dismiss it until you fly it