PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Helicopters over Honiara
View Single Post
Old 29th May 2012, 10:29
VolLibre

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Helicopters over Honiara

I am hoping that someone in the know can explain how helicopters can legally conduct night flights above Honiara's CBD with no navigation lights showing. The altitude is clearly about 500ft. Tonight and the last few days helicopters have circled over central Honiara with no lights but so low we can see the bodies of the aircraft illuminated from the ground at night. I know what 500 ft looks like, and these were not much higher.

There is a regional security mission here, led by Australia, and although I cannot confirm it must be associated with that. How can this happen legally? There has been some notification in the newspaper about "training flights".

I am not a professional pilot but have been flying hang gliders since 1987 and interested in aviation - so I thought to post my concerns here with you professionals. My experience of air law is hopelessly inadequate to gauge the legality of these flights, what NOTAMs are required etc. Also what is the international law that applies regarding flying without navigation lights etc.

It is quite offensive to Honiara citizens who speculate wildly in the absence of any credible explanation. Imagine if helicopters of another country circled over the residential areas of Darwin or Cairns with no lights - even if you knew the country doing it was a welcome partner in development. I am not anti-RAMSI. I will be satisfied if someone in the know can put my concerns to rest - transparency is what we ask.