PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - advice pls R66 or 480B or 206Biii
View Single Post
Old 29th May 2012, 05:02
helofixer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
As a mechanic who works on 480B, R66, and Jet Rangers, Id recommend the 206. The enstrom I maintain is 4 years old and has a little over 1200 hours. We've changed the main gearbox twice in that time due to their low 600 hour overhaul limit...which is being worked on by the factory to double it...time will tell. but thats still low even at 1200 hours. We have been thru 4 tail rotor gear boxes due to chip light recurrences and have done 2 sets of TT straps due to calendar retirement and one set of tail rotor feathering bearings. Track and balance can be very touchy on both main rotor and tail rotor if you don't have a good mech with experience tracking enstroms...using the kit enstrom recommends..they are unlike anything Ive ever dealt with. Also at 1200 hours you will be spending money on retirement items and the labor to change them like lower pulley bearings and seals (2), two cyclic vibration absorber weights and arms and a few others I cant think of at the present time. Also a problem is corrosion with the enstrom. We fight blade and body corrosion because the lack of primer in certain areas. Also an enstrom will need quite a few special tools most shops wont have unless they are enstrom familiar so that could add to the cost. My dealings with Enstrom customer support has been very good, so that is a plus on their. So if you live somewhere that has a corrosive environment, you might want to think about it. Not that the Bell doesnt have its problems, or the R66 but Id go with proven tech over the other two.