PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cessna Citaion Bravo experience, known issues...etc
Old 29th May 2012, 04:05
supermoix

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lets see..

Currently flying the Bravo, on and off since 2002.

Pros:
- Getting cheaper to buy (for a reason) good value for the money.
- Very reliable engines (almost bulletproof).
- Docile flying qualities, even a caveman can fly it.
- Good avionics for a small jet.
- You can get full fuel, 4 passengers 1,400NM @ normal cruise (Flight time around 3:55) ESAD with no problem whatsoever landing with a good - 1,000 pounds reserve, same for 7 pax, can do 1,100 NM (Flight time around 3:10). We artificially limit the range to 1200 NM, we can do that with almost al adverse wind conditions.
- ISA+10 will get you to initial TOC FL390.
- Better than average landing and takeoff distances.
Simple, sound systems, rarely will leave you stranded with an AOG.
Wide coverage for maintenance and service, very good support from Cessna.
- Comfortable enough for 4 pax in a long flight.
- A lot of cargo space, rarely we have to carry any luggage in the cabin.

Cons:
- Slow, both in normal cruise, worse in long range!
- Engines are very, very expensive to overhaul, more than 400,000 green ones each. to make it worse, the Bravo is the only aircraft who got fit with PW530A engines.
- Depending on your area of operations, (if hot and humid) PFD's are prone to die.
- Parts from Cessna and suppliers expensive, get ProParts or JSSI to try to cope with parts costs.
- Gets cramped with 5 or more people in the back for flights of more than 2:30 (all light jets do).
- Did I mention slow?

This is what i can get from the top of my head writing past midnight, ask if you need more info, also, i have perf statistics documented for all my sectors and actual fuel burns somewhere around, if you need them, just ask.

I you end up seriously looking for a Bravo:

- Get one with the lowest time available (AF and engines).
- Be sure (a must) is on Proparts or JSSI, highly recommend ESP for the engines, but if not, prepare to save money in a big piggy-bank for the overhaul when its due.
- Make the pre-buy as in a Phase I-V, check for corrosion everywhere, specially in the belly and wing root sections (expensive to repair!) and try to make it on MSG-3 to save some downtime and money if you are planning to fly it more than 300-400 hours a year.

Hope it helps.