PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Special needs child and ear defenders on takeoff.
Old 28th May 2012, 23:14
PAXboy
Paxing All Over The World

Received 62 Likes on 50 Posts
Thumbs up

marlowe I'm not going to answer what I would do - because this is a theoretical problem for me. So I cannot know what I would do. My guess, is that I would do what I said. However, I do not have children at all and so have the freedom to consider the almost limitless permutations here, rather than real life.

In my work, I meet many people with restrictions of their body or brain and those caring for them. I see the myriad nuances and instant change of mood/direction that can occur. CC cannot be expected to know or understand and I do sympathise with them when they see a pax doing the opposite of instructions - in order to maintain calm. But that's humans!

I think that SLF3's point about the broad swathe of applicability is a good one. Bear in mind that many of these rules have their origins more than 50 years ago. At that time, people with restrictions simply did not travel. Further, the reductions in time allowed by the carrier for processing pax (both ground and on boarding) has been reduced.

The ramifications of this are visible in many PPRuNe threads and the main media - people who 'run amok', get drunk, get ill - or are drunk/ill before they board but have hidden it, etc. Many of THEM do not have loving parents alongside to watch out for them and protect the rest of us.

So, YES, this is a terribly difficult subject as a hypothetical and very thorny for monoceros and family. To whom, I wish a pleasant flight and a rewarding time at destination.

By the way monoceros, I've only just noted that you are new here in our 'cabin'. You are welcome and I hope that you can give feedback of what happens on this trip, as others searching the threads in time ahead can then benefit.

Our Moderator Tight Slot works as cabin crew for a long haul company of repute and - for the most part - we do play nicely in here!!

Last edited by PAXboy; 28th May 2012 at 23:18.