PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Do you enjoy instructing?
View Single Post
Old 28th May 2012, 20:57
Aware

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you have a great sense of humour, are flexible love flying GA aircraft, and have another occupation that actually pays a decent wage its fine.

The expense of flying greatly reduces when you have an FI. I have a 1000 hrs FI and it cost me 6K, that many hours if I paid for them would have cost £100,000 or so , so do the maths.

Buts its not for everybody, I enjoy it in the main because I have variety, and its a release from my financial services business, last week I did PPL IMC and tailwheel flying, but its true you meet some really great people, but you do fly with people that you wouldnt share a beer with and are quite honestly a P I T A , but you have to remain professional at all times and produce the best pilot you can.

And if you do it, be the best instructor you can, dont do it if you cant put all your energy into it. Its really about reading people and finding whats suits them best, which unfortunately the FI course lacks I feel.

Most of us are not teachers when we do the course and find its pretty tough teaching a new skill to people of hughly varying abilities.

Last edited by Aware; 28th May 2012 at 21:00.