PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - VFR to Mallorca
Thread: VFR to Mallorca
View Single Post
Old 28th May 2012, 20:30
echobeach

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If I can work out how to do it I will upload some pictures.
Maxed: thanks so much for advice. Brilliant.
Points to make for those who might think about this sort of trip.

Flying in France is not only brilliant it's much more straightforward than uk. The flight information service is simply incredible. All those complex class d transits and restricted areas melt away with the guiding help of atc. They are there to make your life easy.

We flew to Poitiers and then Perpignan on first day.

Second day we left for son bonet Mallorca. A bit of low cloud in Perpignan cleared to only blue sky. We crossed border to Spain and just flew along the very pretty coast line past girona. Just blue sea, mountains and pretty harbours.
At Bagur vor we set out to cross the med to Mallorca to coast in at pollenca vor. 130 miles and 51 minutes across the sea with a headwind. Both girona and Barcelona spoke to us all the way across before handing us over to Palma. We had no issues with reception or radio.

It's a long but beautiful way across water. I have always worried a bit about water but decided with a raft and the decision to use the parachute if we had to ditch it would be a non issue. It was most enjoyable. To see Mallorca emerge out of the blue sea was amazing.

Palma get you descend below 1000 feet so we came around the point of formentor and then across the bay of pollenca. Some of the best views from the air I have had. Across the bay and the down the motorway at 800 feet and 150 knots ground speed below hills in severe vfr was just amazing.

Son bonet airfield you land having left Palma on a local frequency. Only sticky moment for anyone else going is that they insist on a vat number before they sell you fuel. No one tells you this till you arrive.

Trip back up into France was just as exhilarating.

As an after note sky demon works fantastically abroad and is a great touring tool. Especially for notams and makes the whole thing much easier.

If I can figure out picture attachments will post a few of trip. 1800 miles. 3 days. Mostly at highest altitude possible. No weather issues delays or diversions.

One of the best flying experiences I have had. Makes all the effort worthwhile.

Last edited by echobeach; 29th May 2012 at 09:10.