PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 28th May 2012, 20:03
Chugalug2

Received 234 Likes on 72 Posts
Love the proverb Danny! "if youth but knew, if age but could"...
Yes, memory is a tricky blighter is it not? One of my bosses suffered from jaundice, and I'm not sure if it wasn't a sequel to malaria as in your case. Very seriously ill he was too. Perhaps we prefer not to remember such debilitating times when our fate is completely outside our control? The other thing I find is that incidents are remembered, though not in the right sequence ("the right memories, Sunshine, though not necessarily in the right order", as Morecombe might have said). Like you I have had to turn to my Logbook to get a timeline for some points in my life. A pain in the proverbial in having to compile with all the higher maths involved, but a great reference book for later use, not the least being getting jobs!
I suspect that the military hospital was a great contrast to your forward base; immaculate wards, crisp well-starched Sisters, er...sorry, where was I? Certainly the hill stations must have been a great relief from the hot and humid conditions that you came from. Do you recall if it was served by one of the famous narrow gauge mountain railways that the Himalayan Foothills are famous for? They had a series about them on the Beeb a little while back, and much of the rolling stock would have been around then, I'm sure.
I've had another trawl through YouTube for Vengeance, A-31, A-35 etc, but all to no avail. Just putting in "Dive Bomber" into the search box did produce a lot of interesting items, though not for the VV. Inexplicably a lot of them were about exercising! As an aside there were some interesting clips here, though not what I was looking for:-
mind you its Part 1 of 10, so who knows...