PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SAAB's new turboprop
View Single Post
Old 28th May 2012, 16:36
Cyrano

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jackx123
My take on this is that SAAB has a history in:

Successfully launching a commercial prop which has proven to be competitive even today.

Successfully integrated components with its own wing design to produce a low cost high performance fighter that outperforms much more expensive ones.

So with its current customer base operating ~300 SAABs (i.e. no launch customer needed) they have already captured a niche. I'm sure they have enquired among their present operators what they would like to see.

With fuel cost being an incremental problem we can expect, no surprise, a new more efficient engine, a new wing design, latest avionics, improved aerodynamics and obviously aiming a lowest DOC in its class. With this comes speed, climb, altitude and presumably greater pax comfort.

Having already certified the 340/2000, which is an expensive adventure as we all know, they will most likely stick to the current one meaning time to market will be relatively short.

Presumably they are aiming at lowest crew cost meaning 1 cc and improved SOP, having flight deck performing ground duties (see southwest).

The question however, how many sections (as in length) will they offer?

Any comments/ideas?
I think you make some good points, and I agree that it would seem to make more sense for Saab to go after the 30-50 seater replacement market, where they already have an installed base and an updatable platform, rather than trying to build a 70-90 seater up against Bombardier, ATR, and anyone else.

The big challenge for replacing the several hundred 30-seaters in service, though, is the economics. Operating regional routes is financially precarious enough that cheap aircraft are a big part of the equation. If Saab (or anyone) produces a nice 30-seater and then wants to charge $10m for it, it's not going to do too well. Hopefully if they go with a modernised existing design (and maybe outsource production to a lower-cost country?) they might reach a viable price point?