PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cathay pacific SECOND OFFICER – ADVANCED ENTRY INITIAL INTERVIEW
Old 28th May 2012, 12:56
smurf84

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stage 2 interview questions

Sorry about the delayed reply, folks.

Math test - Part 1 was pure mathematics (fractions, short addition, multiplication all within 10% accuracy) and part 2 was all about 1 in 60, climb gradient, stall speed. I can't recall the exact questions though. Sorry about that. But you will have sufficient time.

Group exercise and flight planning are easy pickings. The assessors are looking for decision making skills and I think leadership does come into play, but not in an authoritative manner.

Flight planning is purely basic. They don't even give you a calculator - you can imagine how easy it is then.

Interview was 20 min technical and 20 minutes personal. I was asked a few questions on the A340 fuel system, aerodynamics. The management pilot also asked me if I knew anything about the A350. More aerodynamics on the PA34/BE76 with a model of it placed in front of me. Then tech questions -

1. Adverse Yaw.
2. Blended winglets.
3. Typhoon formation/Jet streams.
4. P-factor
5. Triple-spool bypass engine, its working and advantages.
6. Hydroplaning.
7. Drag curve for a jet engine.
8. Anti-skid braking system.
9. CAT

This is all I can think of. Hope this helps. Good luck to all of you.

P.S. - Don't worry about getting a tourist visa when you step into Hong Kong. Get out of the aircraft, rush to the long queue at the immigration counter, show your return ticket to the officer and Bob's your uncle! A 14-day free visa (to all the Indians). When you check in at the Regal Airport Hotel, don't bother giving them a security deposit (upto 2000 HKD) or your credit card. By the way, food isn't included in your stay. So if you're not willing to spend around 500 HKD per day inside the hotel, get ready to take a nice 4 minute walk to Terminal 1 and shell out 150 HKD per day if you plan to eat all three meals at Burger King or at one of those Chinese restaurants. But there's also a 7-11 and a Maxim's Delight inside the terminal. Sandwiches, donuts will cost you a total of 90 HKD per day.

On the day of your interview, take the FREE bus ride (exclusively for CX staff) to Cathay Pacific City from Parking Bay 32 outside Terminal 2.

And if you want to get out of the airport (where you will be staying), go to Concierge and book your seat for yet another FREE bus ride to Kowloon/Hong Kong. Within the city, MTR, trams, buses will take you to any corner. Transportation is fantastic. Finally, The Peak is a must-see. You will realize why Hong Kong is the most vertically developed city in the world.

I didn't manage to pass the Interview, but I enjoyed the Hong Kong experience.

Last edited by smurf84; 28th May 2012 at 16:54.