PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How Do you "Lock On" to an altitude with Glass Cockpit
Old 28th May 2012, 11:37
Centaurus

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts
This reminds me. When I first transitioned to glass (PA46-500TP), the instructor told me that my scan was about to become a stare. He was right.
No argument with that. Which is the main reason when this Ppruner first introduces engine failure on take off during the type rating on the 737 simulator, the flight director is switched off before taking off and the whole exercise is done raw data and hand flying. Attitudes are easy to see rather than having to `look behind` FD bars and once they get the hang of steady rudder application and avoid too much aileron, it is a pleasant surprise how quickly candidates pick up the correct attitude.

On the other hand I have frequently watched those starting with the flight director on for take off (which is normal procedure during type rating) having great trouble trying to pin the needles together. They chase the needles and because of their intense concentration on pinning both needles into the miniature square their instrument scan is lost as is their situational awareness for a short period of time.

In the old days, pilots under training were criticised for chasing the ILS needles rather than pick a heading to keep on the ILS. Yet nowadays during engine failure after take off the pilot is exhorted to concentrate and FLY the needles of the flight director. No wonder some have continued difficulty using flight director indications during one engine inop climb out. In fact some pilots get seriously spooked while chasing the FD needles and it doesn't work out for them.

The instructional trick is to switch the FD off for initial engine out after take off training and once the pilot has that beaten then introduce the FD.