PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - advice pls R66 or 480B or 206Biii
View Single Post
Old 28th May 2012, 09:54
toptobottom

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ika

I agree with John R81 and Paco - you shouldn't rule out the EC120 on cost grounds, particularly if you're relying on "predictability of maintenance" costs as published by Robinson. I did that with a Raven II but then came the stream of non-scheduled maintenance, SBs and ADs: a bare-metal respray (because of corrosion problems that the factory refuse to accept - £12k), 3 x auxilliary fuel pumps (3 x £1k), landing light bulbs every 20 hours, the latest requirement for bladder tanks (£9k), plus the constant battle with blade problems... I like the 44, but don't believe the marketing guff on running costs for this or the R66.

IMO the R66 isn't good value. Sure, it has plenty of power and maybe there won't be as many surprises as the far more established R44 (although I doubt it very much), but if I was looking at spending c. £650k (as I was a few months ago) on a 5 seat turbine, the R66 is the last machine I'd consider. You can live with paper doors and meccano construction on £250k robbie, but not a £650k robbie - you can get a lot more for your money elsewhere.

As others have said, it depends on exactly what you're looking for. I went for the EC120 and so far for my purposes, it's proved to be the best compromise for performance, running costs, reliability and comfort.