PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - advice pls R66 or 480B or 206Biii
View Single Post
Old 28th May 2012, 05:14
Savoia

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ika: The questions you are asking, if one were to respond in full, would require forwarding a considerable amount of information.

With your budget one should only expect to be able to acquire an early model 206 with a good number of hours on the clock. If it were my choice I would finance the purchase of a 480B which, compared with the 206, would give you a newer craft with reasonable operating costs and better handing qualities.

If you decide on the 206, get a Bell made 206, not an Agusta made 206. From what I have been told, there is a big difference between the two.
The differences between Bell and Agusta built 206's have been discussed on the Nostalgia Thread and are miniscule. Across Europe all of the initial 206 deliveries were made by Agusta. To give you an example; in the UK of the first 24 models delivered only two were Bell-built.

It was widely recognised that Agusta manufactured versions of the 206 were of slightly better build quality and incorporated a number of refinements absent on their American counterparts. However, as part of Agusta's licencing terms restrictions were placed on the sale of Agusta-built models in the Americas and which is where the "don't buy Agusta" mantra originates. Outside of the Americas Agusta-built Bells will serve you just fine.

Bell 206 B3 every time-get a good low time machine you won't regret it.
There is no more nostalgic aircraft for me (rotary wing) than the 206 and I have accumulated many varied and wonderful experiences in this type but .. today I honestly can't say that I enjoy flying her. Sloppy controls, uncomfortable seating and a bit slow and bumpy. The Ecureuil is far more pleasant as a personal transport.

The 206 is as reliable as they get however but .. when buying the older (high time) models don't think that they will retain their economy. Old creaky 206's can become expensive if you fail to conduct a thorough pre-buy.