PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Colour vision restriction & instructor rating
Old 28th May 2012, 03:33
TOUCH-AND-GO

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unfortunately, I am "functionally monocular" according to CASA, so I can never get past the PPL stage, so I know how disheartening this all can be.
and you feel disheartened? Isn't their a pair of special glasses or contact lenses that can help with depth perception?

Brissypilot can I please ask you have you or have you not conducted the tower signal gun test? And can you or can you not tell the difference between the rotating beacon at YMML tower?

I'm also colour blind, green deficient actually and according to my optometry exam I conducted at the Australian college of optometry my green cones in the back of my retina are poorly dysfunctional ! Yet I do not have any restriction on my Class 1 medical.

I took both lantern test, one which shows a series of 3 colours; red, green, and white. The second test only shows two; red and white. Not surprisingly I failed both. I assumed my career as an airline pilot was over due to the restriction I had on my class 1 medical.

However despite all the bad news, I took the chance of contacting CASA and arranging a signal gun test which was conducted at Moorabbin. What they do is they arrange for an ATO to come out onto the tarmac and from 250-300 meters they point a laser signal gun consisting of the three colours. You do this by 3-4 sets x 3 flashes and then again at 500-600 meters! Once you've completed the test the ATO will send you home, which you then anxiously wait for a week bitting your nails for the results to come back! In the end I received the results and a new Class 1 medical certificate stating my restrictions have been removed! I highly recommend you too take this test. Best of Luck!

P.s This doesn't come at a cheap price