PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - advice pls R66 or 480B or 206Biii
View Single Post
Old 28th May 2012, 00:41
ika

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
advice pls R66 or 480B or 206Biii

I'm new to helis, have 500+hrs fixed wing mep/imc flying a twin, half way through ppl(h).
Looking at getting a single turbine, ideally to do 2nd half of ppl(h) in (instead of repeating navigation etc, would make sense to get time and instruction in what I'm going to fly rather than just doing conversion after). Find flying around at 70 kts frustrating when used to 150kts.
Flew an MD500e (and a d and a c), they were great, fast and responsive, sadly no 5th seat else others are no contest and I would buy one. Plan to put kids in so weight not so much a problem but no of seats is.
Tried a Jetranger, perfectly good, supposed to be solid and safe and components go to time, and old ones are cheap, maintenance questionable cost but reckon say £20k pa plus any big things coming up. 120mph/105kts seems realistic.
Being persuaded to try a 480b or an R66 before I commit.
480B on paper a little faster than 206, is it in practice (comfortable, reasonable mid weight - I find that in helis people tend to quote max cruise but in reality don't fly at that as it's uncomfortable if light/heavy/bumpy/at engine limits), going to try one.
Saw an R66 the other day and am impressed by cabin layout and speed (on paper) and predictability of maintenance if I get a new one, capital cost at reasonable finance and predictable depreciation may be offset by lower running costs in next few years at say 100-200hrs a year (assuming I do 50-100 and find someone to buy about 100hrs to make the hole burnt in my pocket by fixed/periodic costs slightly smaller). I'm expecting that on a new aircraft a 100hr will be for once just an inspection, rather than having components to replace. However am slightly concerned by two unconcluded accidents (negative G? seems to be something a fixed wing pilot with low heli hours (i.e. me, might be prone to do, on the assumption others who have done thought they wouldn't do something silly either, or worse spontaneous in-flight breakup) and whether the apparent politics behind EASA refusal to certify will impact on resale or use in the UK (can't put out for training at present, is a slight pain that I will have to complete my training in something else and then convert, and get an FAA licence).
Assume I was planning to spend £200-300k if I could, am happy to pay little now for something a bit tired looking but sound but I could finance an R66, want something fun to fly, fast as can be, resellable without a large loss/wait in a few years from now - one plan is to expect to get smitten by helis, get a couple of hundred hours, my A109 rating/multi/ifr, get an old A109, ditch the twin fixed wing, and then forever be shuddering at running costs and harking back to the halcyon days of a £20k annual and being able to fly non-stop to Corsica.
Any advice (on what heli to get, why/realistic speeds and maintenance costs/experience and at what sort of price is the best value/likely resale exit rather than to get psychiatric help), gratefully received.
Have rejected EC120 and AS350 (which I'd love) on running/ownership costs, also SA341, which would be lovely, for same reason.
If there is something else I should be considering, open to information.
Appreciate there are some threads and comments on related subjects, have read some, tried to distil nuggets from evangelical outpourings, hoping that asking the question again may elicit fresh insights as I haven't yet made the decision!