PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Low altitude mixture cuts in twin training still occuring despite CASA warnings
Old 28th May 2012, 00:34
LeadSled

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Oktas8,
Like the FAA, the UK CAA put out some excellent material, we ignore such wisdom at our peril. Which is exactly what we all too often do in Australia, ignore, because "we" know better.

The one thing I would take issue about, in your last post, that to "know better" is human nature. In my experience it is commonly a mixture of lack of maturity (unrelated to chronological age) and lack of training at an early stage.

One of the great problems of changing entrenched attitudes is what could loosely called the "you can't teach and old dog new tricks" problem --- but even that is possible to overcome, and the organisation that should take the lead is CASA ---- but, is that going to happen --- where do the FOIs come from???

Some of the worst example of absolutely un-safe practices come from the "informal" demands of some FOIs.

As far as I can see, the only potential circuit breaker is ATSB, they now have the power to investigate systemic safety problems.

If this problem is to be solved, it is going to be political pressure on ATSB to exercise its power --- and without political pressure ATSB will not move, that is already clear.

So, folks, create the political pressure --- it's all in the power of the pen.

Tootle pip!!