PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Special needs child and ear defenders on takeoff.
Old 28th May 2012, 00:27
PAXboy
Paxing All Over The World

Received 62 Likes on 50 Posts
marlowe IF I had:
  1. Notifed the airline of the request and the reasons for it (and in a way that proved that they had received it even if they did not reply)
  2. Brought other proof of the situation with me
  3. Secured seats as near as possible to an exit, in order to help my child in an emergency (presuming that the nearest exit was available)
  4. Allowed the extra time for any discussions with the crew on entering the aircraft
  5. The Cabin crew did not accept the paperwork
  6. The Cabin crew did not accept the situation
  7. The Cabin crew insisted the child be seated without the ear defenders
Yes.
Why? Because the safety and comfort of all the pax and the CC would benefit. In my experience, parents of children who need special support have to make these kind of decisions almost every day and they know the tolerances.

I am well aware of the legal obligations of the Flight and Cabin crew and, in this forum (all those tediously large number of posts that I have made ) this is the first time I have said that I could see a reason for not obeying the orders. So I have thought about this and do not expect to make another variation to my creed in the near future!

I have myself helped to scure the seat belt around a four year old child that was SCREAMING against it, otherwise the cabin would not be secured for landing!! I put up with a mother who had clearly spoilt her child and made sure that the child was belted up without, somehow, belting the brat.

I have myself used the call bell during taxi out as the pax next to me had a broken seat belt and did not know what to do. The CC were already in their seats so could not see that the cabin was now insecure.

So I like to think that I take the subject seriously!