PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Qantas Group - New Airline Structure
View Single Post
Old 27th May 2012, 21:14
Lodown

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How do you know the value is in domestic and all the losses are in International?
Sunny: I don't know. I mean value as a business target for potential acquisition in the international marketplace.

I'm speculating like most others here. Almost everyone posting to this thread is thinking that Qantas intends selling international. I can't see it. I'm sure there is value there as a potential purchase target, but with the A380's trying to be competitive against 777's, old, tired aircraft, ongoing labour issues, and a management that has been trying to find new routes/business opportunities over the last XX years only to get run out of town with their tails between their legs on many endeavours, it just seems to me that there is very little there that would interest a would-be purchaser at a price that would be acceptable to the Qantas board and shareholders. International would be lucky to get one interested and motivated buyer.

On the other hand, I would think the attraction with competitive advantage, growth and value lies in the domestic market and this would be very attractive in the acquisition marketplace. There only needs to be two interested and motivated buyers to push the price up. I can think of at least 4 interested buyers off the top of my head. If the choice were mine (fantasising here), I'd be looking to garnish the bottom line on the domestic product to make it as attractive as possible for the highest price and then let Jetstar absorb the International product with whatever brand name is chosen.

(Then apart from the New Zealand and South Pacific market, I'd be vacating Sydney as an international hub and business head office.)

Thanks Capt. G for the explanation.

Last edited by Lodown; 28th May 2012 at 01:27.