PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Planning ahead - Becoming a commercial pilot
Old 27th May 2012, 18:37
Jake Lewis

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Planning ahead - Becoming a commercial pilot

Hi all,

My name is Jake and as you may be able to see, I am new to the forum.
I come from and live in Belfast, Northern Ireland.

I was given details of this site by a friend, and this is my first real time venturing on to it.

Feel free to correct me if you believe that I have posted in the wrong section of the forum but I believe that I will get the best answers from this section.

So really, my question is much the same as the title of this post; How do I go about becoming a commercial pilot?

I should probably let you all know that I am only fourteen years of age, and a few of those who are reading this may think I am a bit young to be thinking of this sort of thing, but quite honestly, I believe that if you want something to such an extent, then there is no point not trying to achieve what you want.

I am starting my Private Pilots Training in June at my local flying club and hope to be finished as soon as I am 17.

But, shortly before my proposed flight training finish date, I will be sitting my GCSEs. I have been given advice about what subjects to choose or stick to, if you prefer, if I prolong on becoming a pilot, by a careers adviser in school.

I have chosen the following:

- Maths
- English
- English Literature
- Religious Education
- French
- Double Award Science
- Geography
- Business Studies
- I.C.T

However, I don't really know what airlines out there want their flight deck crew to have, grade wise, that is., And that is why I have came here in hope that someone might be able to lead me in the right direction.

I want something to aim for, rather than trying my best.

Education wise, I have made it into the top school in Northern Ireland and hope to continue at that school until I have completed my A-Levels.

A second question, would be, what is the easiest way, and for those who believe that a sponsorship is the way forward, then, which sponsorship scheme would you recommend and why?

Thank-You a lot,
I will be gracious to all your replies and suggestions.