PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SPITFIRE BIRD
Thread: SPITFIRE BIRD
View Single Post
Old 27th May 2012, 15:27
Self Loading Freight
None but a blockhead

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've been musing more about the music, which is clearly a matter of taste, but is it appropriate?

I think it is. That style was created in the early-mid 70s (closer to the war than to us, chronologically!) by German bands like Neu, Kraftwerk, Cluster et al, as a conscious reaction to only having two popular musical traditions around them - German Schlager, and American/British rock'n'roll - and wanting to express their own culture in their own way. Neither Schlager, which is horribly vapid, nor rock'n'roll, which is the music of the conquerors, were any good. (Folk music, which in other circumstances has been a force for musical innovation, was also out of bounds. Looking backwards wasn't an option.)

At the same time, electronics became affordable enough to be pushed into the service of music making, making sounds and rhythms uncanny enough to reflect the increasing awareness of culture as being symbiotic with automation, cybernetics and the rise of the machines. Electronics as a distinct engineering discipline from radio, came out of WWII, which also drove many of the basic innovations behind its subsequent explosive development.

So you might not like it as music (I do!), but the connections between that music and the video are a lot stronger than at first apparent.