PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - new use for RAF reaper post stan?
View Single Post
Old 27th May 2012, 14:42
Backwards PLT

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chris - Last I heard, RPA hours cannot be counted towards civilian licensing hours in the UK (CAA rules), I would assume the same with the new european rules. I have heard that some can be counted in the US, though. I think it will take some time for licensing authorities to understand RPAs/UAVs, just look at the startled rabbit, "just say no" approach to them flying at all!

Cost wise, I think the point is that there is no single number. It varies on whether you talk about the airframe, the system or the system with support. In addition who is buying it and how will make a difference. Iirc the announced price for the next lot of UK Reapers was about £100 million and that was 5 airframes, plus sensors, the rest of the sytem and some support. Certainly if you just wanted the basic airframe from GA it would cost you nowhere near the £20 mil that some might calculate from that contract.

Last, flying Reaper/Avenger off the QE class would be a little tricky (ok impossible) but the USN is heavily into both fixed and rotary wing UAV research and testing. One example is the Firescout mentioned in the linked article in Willard's post. You could happily fly these off any FF/DD. I believe the RN have even briefly looked at them, but widespread adoption would surely mean the end of the FAA so don't expect to see it soon!