PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SAA's non bail-out bail-out
View Single Post
Old 27th May 2012, 13:13
PAXboy
Paxing All Over The World

Received 62 Likes on 50 Posts
Unfortunately, we all know that SAA will survive in it's current form for some years. More money will be wasted and more a/c will be bought (think of all those purchasing trips to look at the shiny toys).

Eventually I expect, they will fail but only when the rest of the country is failing. This, after all, is Africa. Which means that having a national airline is an integral part of presidential power and pride. They need to show the rest of the world that they can do this too. Further, a national airline is a very good job creating scheme and THAT IS NOT to be thought all bad!! Jobs are needed and they might be created directly or indirectly, depending on the project. If the govt builds more houses they will also employ more people etc.

So it HAS to be biz as usual until the wheels come off. THAT moment is still some years away, although approaching with gathering speed.

(Whilst I live in the UK, I grew up there and have family and friends there. One branch of our family have lived in ZA since 1830. Many have run business' there and one currently works in the aviation field, so I do have some idea of the situation.)