PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A320 Line Training - what complex/tricky aircraft related questions to ask?!
Old 27th May 2012, 12:42
Natstrackalpha

Location: Not far from the edge of the Milky Way Galaxy in the Orion Arm.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tricky Questions request.

tricky, cunning, grueling A320 systems and
I don`t wish to sound rude - and I am sure you would like to ask your Training Captain
any questions to fulfil your knowledge.

To request to ask him/her "tricky questions" is a complete and utter waste of time and is pointless, flippant and childish.

The reason, I say, the reason he is asking you difficult questions is to help your knowledge aquisition on the aircraft or to see how much you know - the mere fact that you are finding the questions "difficult" probably proves that you have not studied enough.

The objective of achieving (I use this word `achieving` loosely, at this juncture) the type rating is to have a strong knowledge of the AOM, the aircraft and its operations and limitations. By asking you these questions s/he is probably ascertaining how much you do not know and therefore s/he will know how much to depend on you in the event of an emergency, or even, what to write in his/her report to Human Resources or Flight Crew Management.

This is not an Ego Game of who can catch the other person out, and who wins. He is not your boyfiend.

Also, by making the occasional "delibrate mistakes" he is testing your awareness of flying a 68+ ton aircraft with 150 lives on board - Captain! Because, like it or not Miss, when s/he is dead - you are it - so you had better start learning and quit playing games. By asking you questions, s/he knows if you have been studying or just p-----g around, in your spare time.

The fact you are doing Line Training assumes you really know your stuff and that you are reaching for good operational control of the aircraft and the flight in Normal and Non-Normal conditions - then to grow with the op and the aircraft - then to complete the necessary sectors and reach for Command ability acquired by a strong knowledge of the AOM and your experience on the flight-deck. Is is not a fashion show it is a full time trainee appointment with a view to COMMAND. you have to learn your stuff - he is not there to teach EVERY SINGLE THING, he would not have time, you also have to do it yourself, at hiome, in study, to increase your working ability, if you don`t, they won`t take you seriously, or, you may just get a rollicking, beware.

Last edited by Natstrackalpha; 27th May 2012 at 14:22.