PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The future of UK SAR, post SAR-H
View Single Post
Old 27th May 2012, 10:07
Spanish Waltzer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am surprised that there is an opinion out there that as soon as uk national SAR becomes a contractor delivered solution any ability for a trained mil crew to effect a rescue will be lost. As I understand, every uk mil helo (apart from apache) will have a winch on the side. Therfore every mil crew will at some point in their training be provided with the skills to utilise it. No doubt like other flying skills there will also be a currency requirement to ensure the skills do not fade.

Yes the merlin crew providing plane guard may not be a dedicated sar crew but they will still be capable, competent and trained to effect a recovery. Indeed as the availability of mil crews who have completed a SAR tour diminishes, the need to deliver winch training, as a secondary role, for rotary crews of all colours will increase. Funnily enough, as with all training, this will evolve and the knowledge will continue to be passed on from generation to generation. Nobody, not even crab is irreplaceable!

Am I the only one who sees the fact that the 'heads of sheds' are asking basic questions a sign that they are actually prepared to question the status quo? I have no doubt they were given passionate answers to such questions from those they asked and will make informed decisions when the time comes. Surely better to visit and ask 'silly' questions than not visit and make incorrect assumptions?

Similarly, when it comes to scrutinising the bids, I think you'll find there will be an expert panel of experience from the RN, RAF and civil SAR providers made available to assist those 'accountants'.

SW