PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How Do you "Lock On" to an altitude with Glass Cockpit
Old 27th May 2012, 02:58
Machinbird

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How Do you "Lock On" to an altitude with Glass Cockpit

OK, I'm the first to admit I'm a steam gage trained pilot with zero experience with glass cockpits.

In a steam gage cockpit, it was extremely easy to visually "lock on" to an altitude that you needed to maintain. When flying manually, you simply kept the big altimeter needle pointing in the same direction once you arrived at your assigned altitude (to the best of your ability). Small deviations above and below your assigned altitude are easily seen without actually looking at the gage, you only need to scan your eyes across and note the needle angle.

Glass cockpits of both A and B aircraft appear to involve a simulated rotating drum display similar to a car's mechanical odometer, except that the drums can rotate either direction. ( I've seen the moving "tape" display behind the altitude indication on the "bus in operation.)

What is not clear to me is what technique a pilot would use to "lock on" to an assigned altitude if they wished to manually fly the aircraft. If you are holding FL370, for example, on or a little above altitude reads 37030 perhaps,
a little low and it reads 36950, but you must actually look at the indication to read it, don't you? Is there a simple way to scan it without looking at it?

I'm wondering whether current PFD altitude displays make it difficult to maintain altitude awareness while flying manually.

Last edited by Machinbird; 27th May 2012 at 04:59. Reason: Add reference to the moving tape display