PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 26th May 2012, 21:05
Chugalug2

Received 231 Likes on 72 Posts
Danny, I too have a framed photo of an absurdly young self. Not commissioned yet though, still a callow Flight Cadet and on the books as an AC2 IIRC (no problem now, eh? ;-). In a failed attempt to look worldly I am lounging in a chair easy dark oak; 1, with a cigarette between my fingers. As I'm wearing No1's and obviously had nothing much else to do, I'd guess it was Sunday and I've just returned from Church Parade. My Grandfather, to whom I gave it, framed it, and I in turn inherited it when my Grandmother died.

Your comment about Dum-Dum and the dead end "taxi-way", reminds me of an incident at Gatwick when the runway was closed for re-surfacing. A parallel taxyway had already been beefed up to runway status with appropriate lighting and that in turned was served by a subsidiary parallel taxyway. The relevant Notam said that landings that night were to be made on the parallel taxyway which would be appropriately lit, and the main runway would remain closed until ATC announced its reopening. I suspect you can see where this is going....
There was of course no ILS available, and radar positioning required you to call visual some 3 miles out. Landings continued without incident until one crew, having called visual, had second thoughts. They could indeed see a lit runway (even with some abbreviated approach lighting), with a lit taxyway to the left of it. They knew that they were not to land on the runway, so obviously they must land on the taxyway! They did so, only to see another aircraft taxying towards them in the beam of their landing lights! Both aircraft braked hard, and the taxying one I think took to the grass. Fortunately they stopped in time and no harm done other than to very bruised egos! Rather puts your little contretemps into perspective Danny.
God bless the Dominions! Without them you might have stayed poor. Now you are rich beyond the Dreams of Avarice!

Last edited by Chugalug2; 26th May 2012 at 21:06.