PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilot V Technician
View Single Post
Old 26th May 2012, 20:57
airpolice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Spooling mystiques.

Now I'm intrigued. What version of iPad and what language setting?

We are unable to get any of ours, (all three versions,) to accept "blatently" without correcting it. Even pprune wants to correct it.

As for chips, not me. I know, (and knew then) that I wasn't clever enough to do anything with a screwdriver never mind a spanner. I think the current legislation which prohibits me from doing anything more technical than checking the oil level before flying, is spot on.

I recently had to be saved by a licensed aircraft engineer when I cocked things up. Easily done I'm told, but embarrassing just the same. I over primed the engine...... so then I flooded it trying to start....... and flattened the battery trying to purge the flooding.

Pax really not impressed with me when the engineers tell me to stay seated while they hook up the GPU and get us going, muttering something about pilots and laughing to themselves.

I am fully in agreement with your point about J/T. The trades required a way of rewarding the cleverer guys who may not have been suitable, or required, for a JNCO post, but still deserved to be seen to be doing better than a non technical SAC.

I suspect that is why there is the SAC Tech badge, but this situation should have been left well alone.

Everyone understood that a Chief Tech was superior to a Flight Sergeant, even if not senior to him. I recall being told that a C/T was a tech trade F/S but I eventually realised, as I met more of both ranks, that there is indeed a difference. for exactly the same reasons that the Junior Technician needs a differentiation, I suppose the Chiefs are entitled to the same.

As for the OP and the question. I don't think that a proper comparison can be made. As I understand it, most of the QSPs in WW2 were on active flying duties, whereas today I suspect it is a small percentage. So the question would need to be asked about active pilots rather than just pilots.