PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Blackbushe Memories (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 26th May 2012, 15:09
atb1943

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Seahawk crash at Blackbushe 1 September 1958, 1405z

Mike,

Last September you wrote:

Much as I hate to argue with a fellow Old Fernebergian, it was Tom Boulter who took the much used photo of the Seahawk crashing. Tom, along with my brother, was working for Silver City at the time. My brother saw what was happening and called out Tom, who always had a camera to hand. Tom later became a professional photographer. I'm trying to get hold of a copy of the photo which I will post on the forum if I can.

Well, you are correct! The photo I referred to is the one you have of the aircraft an instant before it went in. Bob's was also published, of that I'm sure, but it was of the immediate aftermath. Bob wasn't able to dig up his original, but by a fluke an acquaintance sent him a photocopy, quite by chance, and yer 'tis:

The pilot of the 800 Sqn RN Seahawk (R/101) was Lt Rodger Charles Dimmock RN, who ejected at some 300 ft suffering a broken leg (though I believe it was his ankle...)

That might be me on the right. I reached him just prior to the S55 (WV202) which was on call. Lots of excitement for a 15-year-old!

brgds
Alan