PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilot V Technician
View Single Post
Old 26th May 2012, 13:18
NutLoose

Received 2,893 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Oddly enough the RAF played with multi trade engineers many moons ago, they had the Supertech that passed out as a Corporal after 5 years and was qualified in Airframes, Engines, Electrics, Instruments and Radios if I remember rightly, but they didn't last. Additionally they had the 3 year apprentices, Airframe Engines, but it is only of late that they have took onboard dual trades with the SAC techs and have started to embrace what the civilian market has been tending to do for years.... I still cannot see how employing Civi's to do a Military job is a good thing, especially with the operations we have these days.

One thing I cannot fathom was why get rid of the JT, you have to phase a rank out, change all the paperwork, QR's etc, bring in new badges, etc etc etc... All costs money and what do you gain? Same job different name.

As for Dead Wood, I remember the rush to reduce the over abundance of Chief Techs in the late 70's! the result was those that knew they could walk into jobs in Civi Street ( generally the good ones ) went and what the Airforce was left with was those that knew they would struggle outside... Aka the Dead Wood.

Last edited by NutLoose; 26th May 2012 at 13:25.