PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What info do you keep to hand?
View Single Post
Old 26th May 2012, 12:10
parabellum
Nemo Me Impune Lacessit

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Back in the days when Pilots could carry such things as dividers etc, I used to carry a small illuminated magnifying glass. I found this a great help on long night flights,to read that frequency or airway data or whatever, when the flight deck lighting was not that much help.
Just wondering what aircraft you were on then? Your Overhead map light is pretty bright, then there is the small hand held light that lives either side of the flight deck that can be used as a torch but above all, what was wrong with the overhead flight deck lighting? Once you reach the top of climb the lights should go to bright and stay there until you prepare for descent, there is nothing to see out of the front windows, your eyes, unless latched on to a specific object, are focused nine inches on the other side of the windshield. Hairy arsed old fighter pilots may try and dull the flight deck down, they haven't kept up with modern science, not only do bright lights help you see, they also keep you awake. All this research was done by the USAF a long time ago,, along with in flight meals and pre flight rest etc. they published a book about one and a half inches thick, no one in this day and age should be flying around in the cruise in a darkened flight deck, that is really prehistoric.