PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Seattle, gateway to Whistler
View Single Post
Old 26th May 2012, 10:01
Rather Be Skiing

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
555, you say

So it seems EK doesn't have a domestic market at all. They are serving And benefitting themselves at the behest of their neighbors. And I'm curious why you conveniently left out India? Let's not forget S Africa and every other country in the region. God help you if the Indians alone decide they want their share back. Lol, I have seen the pax you have out of any NAmerican city. It's almost 100% Indian.
I was referring to their local regional routes as a loose comparison to a domestic market. Of course India is a significant component of EK's business. As is Africa. One wonders why AC is not more open to serving these emerging markets. Maybe that is a question you can answer for me?

It seems to me it is because they are restricted by their Alliance partners and not free to make independent business decisions.

You might be padding your bank account working over there, but from what I read, you are paying for it.
Actually quite the opposite; I was paying a higher price in Canada. No, I am not just referring to taxes. I no longer worry about my job because of the health of the airline I work for. My family is happy. My kids are getting good education and we have the opportunity to see parts of the world that would not likely be possible from Canada. I enjoy my job overall; I like the airplane and route structure. No, it is not perfect but what situation is?

Tell me, where do you think EK would be if it didn't have oil in the region? If the Emiratis actually had to work for their money like everyone else?
Truth is, oil accounts for less than 6% of Dubai's GDP and is decreasing. Believe what you want about EK but it wouldn't account for their ability to fill their a/c like they do. Like WJ, Ek has done a very good job of marketing themselves and they provide a good product that pax seem to enjoy.

At the same time, Canadian energy sector accounts for 6.8% of its GDP.

It still comes down to the same thing: protecting AC and trying to convince everyone that it is done in the best interest of all Canadians. I simply don't buy it. As I stated earlier; I think Rob Howard's presentation to the Senate Committee addressed it quite clearly.