PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Information Needed on PPL to comercial pilot road.
Old 21st Dec 2002, 09:36
Genghis the Engineer

Received 52 Likes on 28 Posts
Firstly, I'd strongly suggest changing the title of the thread to something a lot more specific.

Right, onto the specifics:-

- You'd be daft to set your course for a CPL before doing some purely recreational flying first. You may find that you hate flying, or are the worlds worst pilot, and it's best to find out cheaply. Also, if you can't make that much effort on your own, who is likely to pay for your training ?

- I'd suggest going to the careers section on the Royal Aeronautical Society Website at www.raes.org.uk and downloading their booklet "so you want to be a pilot?" which covers most of the routes to employment, what is required, and what they pay.

- There are minimum standards of eyesight you need, you can find them on www.srg.caa.co.uk if you hunt aound a bit.

- If you only have GCSE maths and physics but enjoyed and succeedeed in them, you may be okay. If you struggled with those and doubt you could manage any further, you may have a problem because much of PPL/CPL groundschool training uses similar concepts.

- Finally, I think you'd have been better off posting to Wanabees.

G