PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Low altitude mixture cuts in twin training still occuring despite CASA warnings
Old 26th May 2012, 01:00
Josh Cox

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Old Akro,

I have never conducted multi engine training on an aircraft with a Carby engine, but what you've spoken of is a very real threat in my mind.

With the training I've conducted, unless you feather the prop, the prop is still rotating due to the airflow, if the engine is needed at short notice, which does happen on occasion ( that's why its called training ): take over, lower the nose, mixture rich and the engine fires back to life instantly.

I will never never never feather a prop when conducting EFATO training, as soon as the pilot in the LH seat correctly identifies the failure, I will set the mixture to rich ( or there abouts ) and set zero thrust ( circa 12-14 inches ).

I would also never feather a turbine, zero thrust also. With condition lever at high idle the prop will still take +10 seconds come out of feather and start producing TQ ( clearly does not apply to Garretts ).

Restarting a piston engine with a prop in feather is a PITA and does not always restart.

Most legislation finds it's genesis in the many and varied accidents the industry experiences.

Last edited by Josh Cox; 26th May 2012 at 01:08.