PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread No. 8
View Single Post
Old 25th May 2012, 22:23
DozyWannabe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PJ2
...your example isn't representative of a jet transport and isn't even generic, basic classroom material for airline pilots.
Understood - in my defence I never said it would be useful for airline pilots, it was just to demonstrate a relationship existed in a theoretical sense - Aerodynamics 101 in other words.

Machinbird began a very helpful diversion in the thread by opening the discussion about stall AoA's.

You may recall that in the second AF447 thread...others had a lengthy discussion on the stall, AoA's, FPA's/Pitch and so on. I think that discussion is well worth reviewing.
I remember it well because it was what had me go look it all up and try to understand it in the first place!

My own copy of HTBJ (which sits to my right as we speak) was bought as a result of that conversation.

I hope this pointer to some of our previous discussions before the crash site was discovered, is both interesting and useful. I found it refreshing to re-read many of the thoughtful contributions of the time. I think it is a good thing to do so as it lends an ongoing check on one's thoughts, as well as providing some perspective to current discussions.
To be honest I think I'm going to have another breather for a bit - but you have my gratitude for the pointer and advice and I will get around to it.

Originally Posted by RetiredF4
No, i´m picking up some popcorn, looks to be lots of fun when you take it up with OW on the matter of aerodynamics
Actually it's more a discussion of algebra (which I admittedly find difficult).

Originally Posted by Owain Glyndwr
I take it you don't mean us to take reciprocal literally? Complementary perhaps?
They act in a reciprocal manner - I've just realised that the term "reciprocal function" has a definite meaning in algebra - oops. (told you I found it difficult!)

There I don't agree - adopting a default value for the stall warning AoA threshold for use when a genuine Mach value is not available does nothing to limit the pilot's authority.
Perhaps I should have been clearer - I was referring to gums' idea of a low speed protection based on AoA alone.

Before I bow out for a bit - one of the things that puzzled me coming out of the sim session was that the A320 in Alternate had a definite hard limit on autotrim, which doesn't seem to have been the case for the A330 - I wonder why that is?

Last edited by DozyWannabe; 25th May 2012 at 22:25.