PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Low altitude mixture cuts in twin training still occuring despite CASA warnings
Old 25th May 2012, 21:54
Josh Cox

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There is no mandated requirement on mixture or throttle.

So it is basically a preference thing.

Pulling the mixture on a piston for EFATO training will not make the wings fall off.

It is far more realistic than a throttle cut, throttle cuts will not give you the assymetric yaw required to properly demonstrate what you would see in an actual engine failure.

I personally would not shut down a turbine whilst conducting EFATO training with the condition lever / Stop and feather or fire wall shut off.

Some believe a throttle cut may be safer ( I do not agree, if you mess up either and VMCA into the ground its the same outcome, watch the airspeed and adjust as required, restart the other engine if the fecal matter is going to hit the fan ).

if CASA is aware of this continued practice, why hasn’t it taken appropriate non-compliance action?
Which piece of legislation would you suggest these instructors are in breach of ? ( noting : CAAPS are not legislated ).

I have been tested by the CASA FOI's many times, to the best of my recollection, every time they used the mixture.

Emeritus, what makes you so certain of what is and is not good airmanship ?, re-inventing the wheel are we ?.

Last edited by Josh Cox; 25th May 2012 at 22:54.