PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread No. 8
View Single Post
Old 25th May 2012, 21:01
gums

Received 55 Likes on 16 Posts
Salute!

I am gonna throw my lot in with OG.

When I talk about reversion, my only experience was with that little jet.

When speed went tango uniform, the system reverted to "STBY Gains", which was dynamic pressure, and not total pressure. So with gear up we had one value and gear down another. The values were used for gains and rate limiting and other stuff. AoA was still used unless only one sensor was still operable.

We also had two more static pressure sensors independent of the basic pitot-static system. Not sure if they came into play for mach calculations, but they were there. Those suckers also were used for sideslip functions and to check the basic pitot tube doofer.

My basic complaint is that too many "protections" and such are supposedly there amongst all the reversion modes. I do not advocate going directly to "Direct law".

What I advocate is a very straighforward reversion that provides AoA and Gee limiting. In other words, worry about stalls and ripping the wings off. Screw the bank angle and pitch attitude and such. Screw the overspeed. If dynamic pressure is lost, then use some "stby gain" values for many FBW calculations. Make more use of the body rates. Let the pilot know he is definitely in a degraded mode and all that it can/ can not do. Forget the auto-thottle stuff!!! No "TOGA" button! The levers become basic thrust controls and stay where they were when the malfunction occurred. The trim function of the THS becomes "manual" and starts where the position was when the malfunction happened.

I will bet that I can come up with a test for the 'bus pilots that includes the 24+ footnotes that may or may not apply to every reversion mode. I would bet a bottle of good scotch that 90% of the pilots would fail.

I don't buy the "system worked exactly as designed" argument. Lost two friends when the thing worked exactly like it was designed. And you know what? We changed the system!!! Sure, we improved our training and such, but we could see the problem, and the government and the company agreed that we needed to change/improve the design.

sorry to get emotional here....