PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Finding PPL hard
View Single Post
Old 25th May 2012, 18:21
b2vulcan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Scotsonslad take heart I don't think PPL is meant to be easy, after all there's no pause button or 'let's pull over to see what's wrong' at 5,000ft, or even 1,000ft.

Plenty of good advice on here from far more experienced pilots than I so I will empathise with you and hopefully give you a better feeling.

I started learning to fly last year at the tender age of 66 and although I hated to admit it I did find learning far more difficult than I expected.

My 4th hour lesson was straight and level. I could fly S&L without a problem if only the wind would cooperate Set power, attitude, trim, good level flight then a pocket of rising or sinking air would upset that balance and cause frustration.

I have about 29 hours total, something like 55 landings and 30 odd circuits and still have not got to the stage of being allowed to solo. It is frustrating, but I accept that and one day it will come.

Similar to airpolice, my instructor took me off circuits and we went onto the next lessons, PFLs and precautionary landings and my first Nav exercise. I think this was to have a change and take the pressure of circuits but on each flight you the opportunity to do a landing.

Don't sweat on it, enjoy the training and don't be in a rush. If you feel your instructor is rushing you perhaps a change of instructor is needed.

Although Barton is my local field I decided to train at Liverpool with nice big tarmac runways