PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Spain to close up to 30 state-run airports
Old 25th May 2012, 18:18
Aksai Oiler

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Compton3Bravo

Like you I live in Spain, I read the article this morning and despite the bad reporting, it's no less of a shocker than it was to hear that over 2000 Spanish municipalities are so weighed down in debt it could take some over 7000 years to pay it off.

We are all wall aware that there has been a massive amount of over investment in Spanish infrastructure - in all sectors. Private investors and more worryingly Provincial Governments (Valencia for example) have invested billions of Euros whom cannot necessarily now afford it. Some of these projects have been poorly planned and ruinous - Ciudad Real and Castellon; I'm still trying to get my head around why Covera was built and why Cordoba needs a runway extension.

If the financial bubble had not burst, not one word would be said about these projects; unfortunately it has and it is glaringly obvious that in many cases Spain has taken advantage of cheap loans and its politicians have taken the piss with public/EU funds. There now has to be some kind of rationalisation of Spanish Airports (whether it's partial or total facility closure). However the EU has to investigate why Spain was allowed to spend, apparently, without any thought to how they would pay. Unfortunately we all know this will not happen, just incase they manage to implicate themselves.

I try to utilise my local airport Jerez as much as possible (flying 2-4 times a month to Madrid and onwards). If Jerez closes (doubtful) I will just have to switch to Gib, Malaga or Seville. Part/Full time closure of some Spanish Airports is a reality, it's not going to go away