PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread No. 8
View Single Post
Old 25th May 2012, 16:20
Owain Glyndwr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dozy,

I am usually with you, at least in spirit, in your tussle with Confiture, but I really don't think you need to instruct him on what constitutes a stall

It might not be so bad if it were not for the fact that your illustration isn't actually representative of a modern airliner stall except at low Mach numbers and with flaps and slats deflected. For most of the speed range the lift coefficient doesn't fall back as suggested by that sketch - it staggers along at a more or less constant level without any particular pitching moment change to induce control loss either. What happens is that the separation spreads over more and more of the wing, producing heavier and heavier buffet until the test pilot calls a halt and says that's enough - we'll declare that to be Vs1g.

Whilst that is going on the drag is increasing rapidly and if there is no compensating thrust increase the aircraft is going to get into a severe low energy problem very rapidly.

Alpha floor was intended to make such a situation less likely - OK, if you want to call it a performance issue I won't disagree, but in my book it is more for maintaining margins than increasing speed and reducing AoA. AoA control is the province of the stick movement,

Would it be useful to consider Alpha floor as precautionary and Alpha max as prevention, rather than lumping both in AI's "High AoA protection"?