PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways DEP Selection - THE lowdown Part 2
Old 25th May 2012, 14:39
bex88

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok this is what I have been told from the horses mouth. BA expect to need about 100 pilots per year over the next few years. This will be met by the FPP and topped up with DEP. a retirement bulge is a worry and this could create about 100 more positions per year due to retirements. This maybe influenced by upcoming pension regulation changes which it is expected will result in my pilots taking their pensions at 55 but going part time. There are about 25-30 in the hold pool and about 35-40 odd which are in training and will join behind bmi pilots. Bmi mainline pilots are being integrated as we speak and will continue through till around nov-dec. The total pilot workforce is 3350ish and will grow to about 3680 with the integration of bmi pilots. It is expected this will grow to just over 4000 by 2015. In the short term I think it's safe to say no more recruitment this year. Bmi pilots are taking some unpaid leave over the winter to stop any redundancies. In this deal is a clause which states if ba do recruit before march 31st then this arrangement will be canceled. By June 29th it will be confirmed if this unpaid leave is required in the case of a surplus. I hope this helps, I don't know recruitment plans only this information so I would ask you to come to your own conclusions. The threat I see is the euro zone which may hamper the planned expansion. However expansion is planned and over time more bmi routes/slots will be used for long haul creating more jobs.