PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Why I turned down Cathay Pacific (SO Transition)
Old 25th May 2012, 01:08
Kenny

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Airgent,

Not that I think that you are going to get this in any way shape or form but I’ll humour you, for now….

Why have I and many others made various assumptions about you and your situation? Simple really; you accept that respect is earned but then state that it’s a two way street. Actually, in a company like CX, it’s not. If you join as an I-Cadet, you and only you will have everything to prove. You will be judged from day one on your attitude, how you interact with your peers and those senior to you, what you say and how you say it. Given that you don’t realize that, it shows that either there’s a lack of maturity or a lack of experience within aviation.

CX is not a “touchy-feely” airline, they’re not going to hold your hand and give you a kleenex, when you have a bad day and screw up in the sim or on the line. They will expect you to do your job to their standards and nothing less. Why? Because that’s the way they’ve been doing it for the last 60 odd years and it’s worked for them. The culture at CX and pretty much all the other “Colonial” airlines is probably the main thing most pilots from the US, struggle with at first.

Continuing on with why I made the assumptions I have; you ask how I can be sure you don’t have more experience or flight time than I do? Well, if you have 13 years as a commercial pilot, 9000 hours and 2000 in the left seat of a jet, then I guess you do but the only question I have is….why the hell would you be looking at the CX I-Cadet program? Given that I don’t think anyone in my position would consider the current entry options to CX, that would leave 2 main options; Either you’re an RJ/TP FO or you’re probably at Riddle. And that, God help us, would explain everything!

I’ll tell you what I find amusing about online discussions….That younger posters, who don’t know about a time when Facebook, Twitter or even the internet existed, can’t seem to resist the urge or temptation to put everything on the internet for the whole world to see. It’s not that difficult to work out who you are if you ever make it to an interview, especially if you’ve told the very people that might interview you, that they’re a moron. I’m not kidding, by the way. Also, you do understand that the CX recruitment team look at these pages? What do you think they’d make of your posts?

You’re right though, there is a wealth of information here from guys who know CX inside out but there are those who seem to be unable to accept being told the truth and act like petulant little children, when told something that doesn’t agree with what they conned themselves into thinking, just to justify accepting such poor terms and conditions.

I’ll leave you with this…Dan B wasn’t attacking you and CB hit the nail squarely on the head. You are not the best of the best but very much the cheapest option. Why would anyone want to join a company that so cynically values them so poorly?

Last edited by Kenny; 25th May 2012 at 01:18.