PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF CLUB
Thread: RAF CLUB
View Single Post
Old 25th May 2012, 01:01
XFTroop

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
[QUOTE][/why does it not open its membership to existing non-officer RAF personnel? OK, who's going to stick his head above the parapet and answer that one?
Come on Beags, or Pontius, this seems right up your street! QUOTE]

Ok TTN, not one of your preferred respondees but of the same vintage at a guess.
I've been lurking on this thread for a while and as I've been a member of the Club for some 40+ years since my attestation in 1968 (AOTS Church Fenton) and have continued now some 10 years since retiring in 2002, I feel qualified to comment.
In my opinion the history, the location and the facilities offered make it an undeniable asset for those lucky enough to be members. Although my usage of the club has only been once every couple of years (on average), I am happy that I have had my moneys worth.
I last used it a year or so ago and I booked in an old schoolmate (we were attending a reunion) who happened to be an ex FAA Bucanneer pilot. He was extremely impressed and as he had no knowledge of any similar RN facility, he enquired if he could apply for membership.
In light of this my suggestion is that membership of The RAF Club (OFFICERS for the use of) be offered to all serving and retired COMMISSIONED aviators of British or Allied forces.
In closing, can I suggest that all those moaning detractors, as well as the lesser oiks who do not qualify for membership, kindly poke off from this thread and join something like the Travel Lodge Club or similar, if you can even qualify for that.

XFT (now expecting some incoming)