PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RE: "RE:'89 warning"
View Single Post
Old 21st Dec 2002, 00:46
89ersmate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W Thank you for your reply

In response may I say the following

Part the first:

I can see exactly where you are coming from, litigation is never nice, and the stakes can be very high indeed! As is often the case ones inbox is, as you correctly point out, a good indication of the mood of the people.

Part the second:

I hold a contrary view regarding the legal position you are placing yourself and all at PPRuNe Towers (via your act of omission if you did nothing about the thread) with respect of a link to another site. However I accept that as you are charged with the responsibility to "keep a lid on" events that occur via this forum, your decision is, in that context, not unreasonable.

Part the third:

I agree with you that the subject of '89 is an integral part of Oz aviation as it is today, and there are lessons to be had on both side of the argument.

However I feel that the core issue of this matter is finally addressed in your second to final paragraph,

In any event "advertising" of yours or any site without approval, is prohibited and in this case even if you paid for it, for the above reasons.
This is something that has become more and more obvious as PPRuNe has grown in popularity, the commercial imperative to stop any "leakage" of traffic outside the site.

I have been with PPRuNe many years, in fact from not long after its inception, however with another identity. I have seen the changes that have come from the exponential growth of the site.

I accept and understand the reasons behind the "tightening of policy" as the site has grown; however it now lacks some of the sense of community and willingness to 'push the limits' that was the great strength of the concept in the beginning.

I wish you good luck in 'restraining' the robust discussion that will always be attached to the events of 'that year'.

I trust it is acceptable for my e-mail address to remain, so anyone who wishes to discuss this issue further can do so via it

Regards

89ersmate