PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread No. 8
View Single Post
Old 24th May 2012, 14:44
Lyman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Doze, bear with me. Is it active in ALTERNATE LAW 1?

Clandestino. I have trouble finding any mistakes in your voluminous posts, and will grant that your knowledge of the system is exquisite.

bubbers44. You have a pov, namely that some actions of this crew failed airmanship 101.

Nice and tidy, "basic airmanship". Sounds nice. If what one wants is basic airmanship on the Bus flight deck, you will have a long wait. It is a myth.

One does not enter the cockpit as an airman on these aircraft possessed only of basic skills. That is absurd. You are victim to the myth that a "concierge" may pilot hese airplanes. That was always a lie. The system was not designed for a low time bug smasher. It was designed for a systems operator, who is also a flyer.

Well and good. 99.999999% of the time. At a time when things get difficult, the system's good traits disappear, and one is left with a potential bag of snakes that cannot be flown intuitively. Again, systems. But in trouble, the system morphs. Its alterations are taught, briefly, and trained, haphazardly, for why waste money on a system whose dependability is on a par with other fleets? Herein lies the snake.

447 is a textbook case of the best plans of mice and men gang aft agley. It is fair to mention the other 30 odd occurrences of UAS and the nice safe though disparate outcomes....

This accident started with an aircraft in autoflight experiencing trouble. At first, merely turbulence, then temperature fluctuations, air mass inconsistencies, and other cascading problems that caught the complete attention of the crew probably only when it was too late. I have said from my first post here, that the accident had its beginnings in the last seconds of autoflight, and the first seconds of manual control.

Unfamiliar. I've said that whilst flying, and always had a voice on the radio, or next to me to add some grok to the conditions. No such resource for the crew of 447, of that we know. The crew was unfamiliar. With the conditions, with each other, and with the aircraft.

To claim simplistically that this tragedy was due incompetence in the seats is outrageous, even obscene.

In blaming, the community finds a lightning rod. A way to pitch their own shortcomings and fears into the bag that is clutched by the dead. It is cruel, and unwarranted.

It's a big bag, and dozens of characters have their guilty mitts on it. If one wants to say that the chain of tragedy starts with the PF's first aft stick, fine, I say that too. Consider the conditions, and take a long look at yourself, and your surroundings. A simple explanation can be correct, but well short of the truth...