PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread No. 8
View Single Post
Old 24th May 2012, 12:29
CONF iture

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AZR
CONF iture, you're quibbling here. The correct sentence would be "Alpha Floor, where the system commands maximum thrust to help preventing stall."

I agree that Alpha floor => TOGA is to have the max performance regarding altitude. But I disagree on the "only".
Indeed, with Alpha floor => TOGA active, if you keep your current altitude (or path), then you may gain speed on this path => lower AoA => go farther from the stall risk.
Negative.
Thrust won’t prevent stall – Stall is question of AoA not of thrust.
You could have TOGA and still stall if the airplane is not alpha limited - AF447

I do maintain :
Alpha Floor does not command maximum thrust to prevent stall, but only to provide maximum performance in term of altitude gain when high AoA are reached and want to be maintained.

But you can still comment the following part, that’s where DozyWannabe is in difficulty :
You can permanently disable the autothrust function, and therefore lose Alpha Floor, but you can still maintain full back stick without stalling, IDLE thrust. The system will maintain Alpha Max for you - NO STALL - Going down YES - BUT NO STALL - STILL FLYING