PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Is BA still a responsible Company?
View Single Post
Old 24th May 2012, 07:10
Wirbelsturm

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trossie,

Welcome to the world of business. Of course BA has a responsibility to it's shareholders. It is no longer a nationalised company. The shareholders have been very patient for a long time in a very volitile business. They expect a share increase/dividend over the long term.

The only thing BMI had to offer of any value whatsoever was the slots. BMI Baby didn't have them neither did BMI regional. Without the slots BMI would have gone bust years ago thanks to very poor management. Unfortunately no one is in this business for the 'good' of the employee. No interested party was bidding for a loss making airline, they were bidding for lucrative LHR slots. Why does this surprise you? As far as any company goes the rest of the 'stuff' that comes with BMI is just baggage to be sorted out. It's not personal, it's business. The days of 'job for life' are over. Baby and Regional did not fit in any way, shape or form into any LHR carriers business model. This ain't a charity!

As for a Trojan Horse, time will tell but I think not. There are moves afoot to cure the ''bubble' principle in time and I'm sure those pilots coming across will find that the working conditions at BA are alot more stable and alot more 'plannable' than what they are used to. There are a few 'vitriolic' ex-BMI posters on here who believe they should have everything and a few vitriolic BA posters who believe they should have nothing, most of us are happy to accept a common middle ground.

Payscales wise? It was unfortunate but not entirely unexpected that a change was being put in place, pensionable pay hasn't changed at all but the 34 pay points (which have no effect on pensionable pay, that increases at the same rate it always has) mean longer to the top but no change in the top pay. Compare that to almost all of the Middle/Far east airlines and you'll still find it a pretty good deal. Certainly no where near a friend of mine flying the 777 for Cathay who is an A scale Captain flying with C scale co-pilots.

Last edited by Wirbelsturm; 24th May 2012 at 07:41.