PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread No. 8
View Single Post
Old 23rd May 2012, 21:13
RetiredF4

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
DW
@franzl - I think something might be lost in translation. "Fly ... as you would normally" is not the same as "It flies the same as in Normal Law" - the first statement refers to how the human should approach things ("Du sollst") and the latter describes the aircraft's behaviour ("Es verhält sich") - albeit inaccurately.
Nothing got lost in translation. I´m not a native english speaker, but i live with that language since more than 35 years in talking, writing and reading. All the books i read for entertainment are written in english, meanwhile they fill the cabinets of a whole room. Im not perfect and without fault´, but i get along. I do not translate, when reading, and not when writing, i understand english like a native speaker would do without translation.

D/W The point I was making was that you don't need to know the specifics as far as Alternate Law is concerned - fly the thing as you would normally fly it, just don't expect the protections to be there.
You may twist my comment around like you will, your statement is wrong in all three parts

- you don´t need to know the specifics as far as alternate law is concerned
- fly the thing as you normally fly it
- just don't expect the protections to be there
Even the last part is misleading, because in the different sublaws of alternate law there might be all protections lost or only some of them, and the stage of degradation might influence the behaviour of the aircraft caused by the computers and might influence the necessary behaviour of the pilots.

Just be a man and accept, that your statement is not only gravely simplified, but that its BS. Arguing with semantics against it doesn´t make it true.

edit after i read the follow up post:
QuoteW:
all you need to know is to take care to stay within the flight envelope outside of Normal Law
I do not agree on that one at all. It´s even a more ridiculous statement than the one before, and i´m going to tell you why.

all you need to know is to take care ......
it sure should be
" all you need to do is to take care..... "
or maybe
"all you need to know is how to take care..."

To be able to do that, one needs to know the point of degradation of the system and what system functions are still available, otherwise one will not be able to take care to stay within the flight envelope and the mishandling would kick one out of the flightenvelope.

By the way, that has nothing at all to do with FBW or Airbus or Boing, its basically common sense and applies for all parts of flying.

Last edited by RetiredF4; 23rd May 2012 at 21:38.